Be sure to use heirloom tomatoes; their rich flavor and vibrant color add a huge wow factor to this salad. Beans bulk it up with fiber and protein.
- 2 pounds heirloom tomatoes, halved
- 4 ounces French bread, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 (3-oz.) block feta cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can unsalted cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
How to Make It
Heat a grill to high (450°F to 550°F). Brush tomatoes and bread with 1 tablespoon oil, and place tomatoes, bread, and feta on grates; grill until charred on both sides, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate, and sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper. Let cool 5 minutes; cut larger tomatoes and bread into chunks.
Combine tomatoes, bread, beans, onion, basil, vinegar, and remaining 3 tablespoons oil in a large bowl; gently toss. Divide salad among 4 plates; crumble feta evenly over top. Serve immediately.