How does one start the journey to eating healthier? The way to do this is to start with small behavioral changes rather than trying to make a huge unrealistic, unsustainable change.
You can start by implementing the following tips to make progress and stop spinning in that hamster wheel.
- Focus on lean protein. Protein is the building block for muscle. So, when you want to improve your body composition getting adequate protein is essential and also is very filling. Be sure to start each meal off by making sure to hit your protein goal.
- Switch to water. You can easily and drastically reduce your calorie intake from liquids by swapping to drinking water. It will also keep you properly hydrated!
- Eat lower calorie high volume foods. Eating more fruits and vegetables will help you feel full without adding an influx of calories. This is a great way to keep yourself from over- eating. Having popcorn and 0% Greek Yogurt are also to other great ways to do this.
- Eat without distraction! So many of us rush through our days multi-tasking so it’s very easy to be doing something while we are eating. Even if its scrolling through our phone. The issue with this is then we don’t register what we are eating. Put the task aside for a few and sit down to enjoy your meal.
- Don’t starve yourself. If you go too low on your calories you will feel tired and drained. No energy to exercise or motivation. This will create frustrations and you will eventually cave in and revert to your old nutrition habits. Keep things balanced and have patience.
- Get a good night of sleep. One of the most important things. Your body needs proper rest to set you up for the next day. Proper sleep also helps to regulate your appetite.
Poor sleeping patterns have been shown to contribute to weight gain.
Remember balance is key. Healthy mind and healthy body is what wins the race!